Mahinakealo Dermatology is the first in the state to offer the AviClear™ Laser treatment for all acne types and for all skin types. Please contact our office for more information or to set up an appointment.
WHAT CAUSES ACNE?
• Sebaceous glands are attached to each hair follicle and produce sebum (oily substance) which lubricates and protects the hair and skin.
• During puberty, hormones called androgens increase the size of the skin’s sebaceous gland. These glands can make too much sebum, which can clog pores. Pores become plugged with sebum(oil), dead skin cells, bacteria (C. Acnes), causing eruptions of the skin. These blockages produce blackheads, whiteheads, nodules and other types of pimples.
AviClear™ MECHANISM OF ACTION
• The purpose of the AviClear™ Laser treatment is to selectively treat the sebaceous glands without causing thermal damage to the surrounding tissue.
• The AviClear™ Laser uses a wavelength of light, 1726 nm, which preferentially downregulates the sebaceous gland while other anatomies remain intact/protected. The sebublasts (outer wall) are protected while the sebocytes are damaged.
TYPES OF ACNE which are treated by the AviClear™ Laser
• Blackheads (Open Comedones): Open comedones on the skin that fill with excess oil and dead skin.
• Whiteheads (Closed Comedones): Closed comedones that remain closed by oil and dead skin.
• Red, raised blemish on the skin’s surface with no whitehead
• Red, inflamed blemish with a white head
• Large, inflamed blemish that are hard-to-touch and deeper in the skin.
• Typically, more painful
• Very large, inflamed blemish that are soft and fluid-filled under the skin’s surface.
• Can be very painful.
The AviClear™ Laser is designed to improve all types of Acne.